Join a Hackathon
Web3 Foundation regularly supports developer focused events! Be the first to know by signing up for the Polkadot newsletter.
Host a Hackathon
As one of our objectives in the Web3 Foundation is promoting the Web3 technology stack, we would like to support any individual or team who wants to organize a hackathon that gets more developers to understand Polkadot and Substrate in your city or online.
We are not only providing technical resources for you, but we can have someone from our team give a hands-on workshop/presentation about the technology to help participants get started hacking on it more quickly.
Why you should host a hackathon?
- Connect with the Web3 Foundation team and larger community
- Support Web 3.0 education, opportunities, and more
- Learn the bleeding-edge technology
- Make lasting impact and gain connections in the community
How do hackathons differ from workshops?
Hackathons (AKA Buildathons) are aimed at participants who want to deliver their prototype and demonstrate their ideas to reality in a short period (few hours - one day), or online in a few weeks. Workshops are more for getting developers familiar with the tooling and understanding more about what are the resources currently available and how they can make use of it.
How can you run a hackathon in your city?
Get in touch with the W3F team by email or ask us via our Matrix chat.
How we can help
- Provide technical resources/materials
- Help sourcing funding for facilitation and prizes.
- Finding a venue
- Marketing the event
- Ensure the hackathon runs smoothly
Project & Event Theme Ideas
- Bonded tokens
- New governance pallets with different styles of voting & democracy
- Upgrade the TCR pallet
- IPFS integrations
- Decentralized identity solutions
- Oracle pallets
- Implement Generalized State Channel/Plasma Chain
- Decentralized Exchanges
- Tools for monitoring validator performance
- dApps across different parachains
Here are a few examples of hackathons W3F has facilitated and supported:
Polkadot Buildathon: India - This India-focused hackathon was a 9-week online event.
Encode Hackathon - an externally facilitated event with a mix of learning challenges and prize pools for dApps as well as stand-alone blockchain project submissions.
Hello World! by Polkadot - A collaborative hackathon celebrating the integration of Polkadot and Kusama into the Gitcoin platform. Has many sets of smaller challenges that will reward in either DOT or KSM.
Hackusama - A 7-week online hackathon for developers to "Build a Blockchain" and submit your wildest tools, visualizations, and ideas to the "Open Hack" category.
- Substrate Docs - many introductory learning material lives here, that can be a feature of you hackathon or suggested prerequisite for those joining to use.
Support / Contact
If you have any questions regarding organizing a hackathon, please free feel to contact us by email or ask us via Element chat.